So you got into school? A Beginners’ Guide to College in Washington, D.C.
First of all, congratulations! You (or your child) has been accepted to college in Washington, D.C.! After years of hard work, it’s hard to believe that in just a few short months, you/your kid will be living independently and attending school. Now that you have received the acceptance letter, the onus is on both of you to decide which school to attend. The best way to make that decision? Visit! Visiting is a must. With an acceptance letter in hand, this trip will feel different.
Our guide to the after college acceptance D.C. visit:
- Pre-Frosh: Spend the night in the dorm. By staying over, you will get a good feel for campus life. Eat in the cafeteria and walk through campus. Can you see yourself living there? Hopefully, you will feel excited about this prospect!
- Pre-Frosh/ Parents: Take the metro. It’s easy to use and it gives you a different perspective on the city. Public transit makes you feel like you are experiencing the city like a local.
- Pre-Frosh/ Parents: Relax! College is supposed to be fun! Make sure you enjoy this special time!
- Parents: Stay somewhere central with lots of good restaurants and shopping, such as Dupont Circle. The St. Gregory Hotel, located right on M Street, is a great choice as it offers all the amenities you would want for a college visit: spacious guestrooms, complimentary Wi-Fi, and a fantastic fitness center, which has the deluxe Peloton bikes. And the DC restaurant scene is booming! Right at The St. Gregory Hotel, Tredici Enoteca opened last fall. The delicious Mediterranean menu features flatbreads, small plates and a fantastic wine list; the bar is gorgeous.
- Pro tip for everyone: Always book direct. Hotels usually offer the same lowest rates on their own website that they sell on third party websites.
Best of luck to you as you embark on your college journey! DC is a great place to go to school, let The St. Gregory Hotel be your host to navigate the city!